WHO DOES BACKPACK MINISTRY SERVE?
The Backpack Ministry serves children in need at Pineville and Sterling Elementary Schools. Many of these children are homeless.
HOW DOES BACKPACK MINISTRY SERVE?
Throughout the school year, this ministry provides enough food for two daily meals and snacks over the weekend for children that participate in school breakfast/lunch programs and who also register for our weekend assistance. In conjunction with two partnering churches, the program typically serves 115 students each week.
WHEN AND WHERE DOES BACKPACK MINISTRY SERVE?
Each Wednesday, our volunteers meet in Building 300 at 12:30 p.m.. Food donations that have been received from the congregation, businesses, or purchased with donated funds are inventoried. The volunteer team then packs individual bags of food and delivers them to Pineville and Sterling Elementary schools. Program coordinators at the elementary schools deliver the packs to the children on Fridays.
In addition to the normal Wednesday packing events, the ministry sponsors Thanksgiving and Christmas food distribution events.
OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE
Interested volunteers can assist in a variety of ways:
- Help pack backpacks on Wednesday at 12:30pm in Building 300.
- Contact Kevin or Beth Harris to add your name to our “Fast Responder” list to receive a weekly email request showing which food items are needed that week.
- Bring food items to the donations bins or provide monetary donations in the offering plate (designate Backpack Ministry” on the check).
Our monthly needs list includes:
- Breakfast/Granola Bars (No peanut butter please)
- Ramen Noodle Soup Packets
- Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 oz Snack Pack Pudding Cups
- Microwave Packets of Macaroni & Cheese
- 4 or 6 packs of cheese crackers (No peanut butter please)